Discussion: The Decline of Era

You know....For things that are...General
Dave
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Re: Discussion: The Decline of Era

Post by Dave » Tue May 07, 2019 3:26 am

Would just like to point out if you really want to get there is always the option of getting the materials and making things like a Scorpion Harness or Haubergeon yourself, you don't just have to buy it off AH. Or ask someone to make them for you. Ask for help in getting the materials themselves and camping Simurgh for a D ingot or doing BCNMs for a Venomous Claw. This is an MMO after all, it's meant to be played together with other people ;)

*Feeding fools to Wyrms since 2006*

oban

Post by oban » Tue May 07, 2019 4:06 pm

I can understand why you would be upset by posts that you see as complaints. I/we do know that you work very hard on this server. Unfortunately negative feedback cannot be helped but to be received as personal attacks in this scenario. I really am sorry sorry to be part of what makes you feel that way.

As much as I'd like to just agree with you and move on, I can't. You ask for suggestions on solutions. Well, IMO you guys had a great solution to what harms many private servers. An economy.... Grumblix was much more than an ATM. It wasn't just about turn in an insect wing and get 250k. In truth I turned in one item and said screw this! Hitting a million points seemed daunting to me for a Morrigan's robe. However, other folks liked having that goal and drove towards it. What it did for me was move the things I put on the AH. There was a demand for the supply. I made my gil not from Grumblix directly, but indirectly from other players buying the items they needed to turn in.

Some servers have tried to just have a bot buy up things on the AH. I guess that works ok too in some regard. Though what I've found is it is a tremendous amount of work on the part of the coders. Then becomes forgotten/neglected and fails to work well. Grumblix was a solution that didn't need so much upkeep. Supply and demand drives an economy. Grumblix would essentially take an item from you and throw it on a burn pile and it was gone. But gil was earned. Which in turn was used to go back and buy the next item or mats to make it. Hence the demand.

Unless you have a population of thousands like retail or a server like Nasomi. You cannot work on a purely player driven economy. There is just not enough demand. Nobody is going to buy low level items because the levels are passed by too fast for that. Access to good low level stuff for free (Garrison) also kills the need. So getting started off on a server like this can be tough. Nobody is buying your rabbit hides to make a lvl7 or w/e +1 mantle. You'll be lvl 7 for 30 seconds. Where as on Nasomi it takes 1/2 a damn day to get to lvl 10. So maybe some of the 600 characters on at a given time needs or wants something like that.

Era has had it's own niche. I don't believe it was designed to one day be another Nasomi or now Eden. You guys created a server that was geared toward folks who either do not want to focus so much on leveling or simply don't have that much play time. People like me who are parents, spouses, or have a demanding occupation/career. Giving us a server where we can experience all the great things about FFXI without all of the time sink. We love that about Era. But for w/e ungodly reason, servers where you have to lay down your time in droves just to get a lvl 75 character are seemingly thriving.

If you are looking for suggestions, here is mine. Decide what you want Era to be. Make it VERY clear. Either you are going to be a server that might be considered "Easy Mode" for people like myself. Or you are going to move in the direction of the more "Hard core" servers. Era to me is providing a server for those who want to experience end game. Nasomi is built for people who want the journey of getting there. The moves made in recent months have shown a direction away from the former. That is why we are losing those players. We are STILL a much more "time" friendly server which is appealing to those giving us a try. But without the means to match up to the current economy, they will likely not stay.

Knowone
Admin/Dev
Admin/Dev

Post by Knowone » Tue May 07, 2019 5:41 pm

The "Vision" of the server is to emulate upto a pre abysea era. Circa august 2009. With perks of easy of leveling aka. 4x xp as stated. Ease of travel aka. Hp warps, custom warp npcs, ect. And a system in place to help you level your jobs aka. Buffing moogles. With a custom mentor mode that lets people who want the nasomi way of leveling just do that with a 1x xp rate.

So when ever something becomes code to fit that 2009 server feeling we try to implement becuase as a private server thats not in a finished state it will always be changing to this goal.

We take case by case senerios that may be out of realm and decide if its worth it. Say chocobo whistles, hp warps, food items, spells, you name it. There is so many things.

There are also things that becuase we update to dsp occationaly we get stuff that may have been working that now doesnt. Thats the butt of our time goes into custom fixes.

You also have custom ways of doing stuff that was in before 2009 becuase its not coded correctly yet. Say zeni, the cameras dont function, no code is made to make plates or put info to them. But maybe 1 day someone makes it pulls to dsp amd on our next update we adopt it. If its retail way. We will drop out custom code for the correct way.
Goes for mystic nms, allied notes, ect.

Now me and a few of my gms descussed and in pretty much 1 day have a new solotion to grumblix via a new style hunt.

Without giving whole story away:
Npc asks you to kill a mob and bring back his goods you can either
1. kill it come back and collect points
2. Kill it and trade its item for points plus a bonus
3. Just trade its item for points. Can be from ah or what you have already, whatever.

Its in early stages but have core work done, a base script and story laid out, and some 300+ targets in spreadsheet waiting to be added

Im actually pretty excited.
And theres talk of bringing back old grumblix for repeatable turn ins for cash like it use to be

Going to be a real goblin mafia story line tied all together with back ally deals and a "Hit list"

Tomas
Donator
Donator

Post by Tomas » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:12 am

Server admins seem to be in complete denial of any wrong doing on their part that may have lead to a decrease in active players. I figured I might as well give my 2 cents. Yes Knowone......the removal of the old grumblix was a big deal..a very big deal. I personally spent a large majority of my play time crafting and the grumblix system was very enojoyable for me. I think I have played for less then 24 hours total since it's removal. I decided to give era a go again recently and what do I come back to? No exp buff. Needless to say(but i'll say it anyway) I am not impressed. This new mafia system seems pretty lackluster as well.

Landsoul
Donator
Donator

Post by Landsoul » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:54 pm

Gumbrix was an ATM machine but at the other side of the argument it also kept the economy rolling. People would buy random gear from the AH so other people's items would sell. Anything from leveling items and what not. Self sustaining AH right now is not viable with this few players online. Not like it bothers me, I mean I have plenty of Gil I don't need more Gil. However, I can see this being a problem for newer players or players not so lucky that weren't able to farm Gumbrix for a year or more. Because Gumbrix wanted so many random items even non-crafters were able to make a buck from selling stuff on the AH, no one uses Gumbrix anymore so AH activity is lower now.

atomic

Post by atomic » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:10 pm

Landsoul wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:54 pm
Gumbrix was an ATM machine but at the other side of the argument it also kept the economy rolling. People would buy random gear from the AH so other people's items would sell. Anything from leveling items and what not. Self sustaining AH right now is not viable with this few players online. Not like it bothers me, I mean I have plenty of Gil I don't need more Gil. However, I can see this being a problem for newer players or players not so lucky that weren't able to farm Gumbrix for a year or more. Because Gumbrix wanted so many random items even non-crafters were able to make a buck from selling stuff on the AH, no one uses Gumbrix anymore so AH activity is lower now.
It's a huge problem for me. I play sporadically. I came to Era because I spent 127 days (Accrued time) in FFXI back in the day and never got my primary job past 68. I thought, hey, I can play now for free and finally ding 75.

When I started I'd see 200 people on. I didn't interact with anyone, but it was reflected in items moving along in the AH. I don't want to play with people, necessarily. I cannot commit the time. I always wished for a FFXI-type game with more privacy/solo-ability. Era provides that. I did, however, appreciate the economy because I do crave a certain playstyle from long ago and want to be able to buy certain items I feel my class "needs." This has become so difficult.

Most sales histories on things I think I'd like to sell are months old. Again, I play on ERA to save time. Therefore I do not want to look up each item, find what quest I may be able to turn it in for, and travel to make it happen. I'd spend my playtime just doing that. I'd like to be able to get rid of it for a decent amount of gil so that I can buy a few choice items, afford my HP transportation (I bounce around A LOT), and pay for my mistakes when I do something the long way because after all this time I've really forgotten a lot of shortcuts and/or the ERA options aren't all that clear to me as a big picture.

Over the two weeks or so there have been about 30-40 people online when I've logged on at different times of the day. I don't really care much except that the affect on the AH is glaringly obvious. Personally, I'd like a way to get some of these mid- to high- level items that are popular per job in a way that is solo friendly. I'm not going to be beating any 3-person BCNMs alone in the near future...

Maybe there are existing solutions to some of these issues already, but they are just difficult for a casual player like myself to find?